Total Pageviews

Friday, May 25, 2012

Social Media: Is Facebook a Keeper?

Apparently, Facebook went public as far as the stock market is concerned according to the recent news reports. Apparently, it was valued to be worth more than "UPS" (United Parcel Service). That is strange to me. I would think a physical delivery service would be more valuable than a social media network.

Facebook is about branding. I believe that Facebook is going to remain trendy for much longer than "myspace" did.

I like Facebook better than Twitter as far as fan page appeal. Twitter seems like too much pressure to always post on a daily or even an hourly basis. Besides Kim Kardashian, who else does anyone need to keep up with 24/7? Smile.

Linkedin is a favorite for business minded and professional people. Even though some people treat their Linkedin account like "Twitter," I do not agree with that usage of Linkedin for daily messages.

Depending on the nature of your business or purpose, one has to choose the right social media.

If you are job searching, then you need to focus on LinkedIn. If you want a community bulletin board for a homeowner association or a facility where you need team communication, then Facebook fan pages are a good choice.

I like Facebook. I never opened up a mySpace account. I always felt the loading time for mySpace was ridiculous. I did not have patience for it.

Facebook and Linkedin are quick for searching. Maybe it is the advancement of computer speeds that have benefited Facebook and Linkedin. So it could be "good timing" on the release of these social media giants.

I do find it hard to attach value to a free service. I also ask myself would I pay Facebook to keep my account open? Would I pay Linkedin to keep my account open?

I definitely would let Linkedin sink before I would let Facebook sink. Facebook is fun and upbeat. It is a stress free, "let loose" website.

Linkedin is a more serious, professional platform that is more for "show" than any real action. Linkedin is a "politically correct" platform.

Facebook is an "after five" social central. You really get to learn people.

I would probably pay to remain active on Facebook if I had to. I think Facebook is just as important now as a web domain or maybe even more important.

Maybe I should buy into Facebook when it sinks to about $20 a share!

No comments:

Post a Comment