Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Cuban Artwork: The Full Cycle of Black Love

I purchased this canvas around 1998 in New York City, New York.

I recently pulled it out of storage (year 2017), and I immediately was appalled by the artwork. 

  • I didn't think the lady's hair was neat enough.
  • I felt the couple's skin color was too dark.
  • I did not see any class in this picture.
Then one of my friends noticed that the woman's head was not covered so she said this artwork was NOT Black artwork.  I had two people to identify the artwork as Cuban.

Then I took a long, hard look at the artwork again, and I found a lot of irony.

  • Straight hair - possibly naturally straight hair versus relaxed hair plus
  • Dark skin complexion plus
  • Latin/Spanish fashion.

What a combination!  I could not find any information on the artist "Hannity" as I began to re-appreciate this canvas.

What did  I see in this artwork - 20 years ago?

  I think that I saw pure "Black Love."
  • Forget the "Brand name" clothes
  • Forget wearing shoes
  • Forget all the worldly distractions
Just enjoy life.


No comments:

Post a Comment