Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 1, 2014

My Church of Christ Experience

I was repeatedly invited by one of my retail clients to attend her church: Sugar Creek Church of Christ.  She was so excited about her faith and her church, and she met a wonderful God fearing man at this church who is now her husband.  Well, I felt compelled to check this church out!

It was an amazing church.  It was much larger in size than I imagined.  The members were very welcoming.  I even got a visitor gift bag with a Faith based book and church information.  I was also told that this church was the largest Church of Christ in Charlotte.

Well, I was born Southern Baptist, and I have been a member of quite of few mega Baptist churches so I know what I am used to for church services.  Surprisingly, the Church of Christ does not have choirs.  The Church of Christ congregation has a song leader, but the church as a whole is the choir.  Sometimes the men carry a verse and the women layer their voices and then the song leader/conductor adds another layer to the song.  There's no fighting for the solo spot like some church choirs have challenges with.

Many of the songs are hymns.  I liked this simple traditional approach to worshiping in song.

Also, communion is served every Sunday!  There's no more excuses like "missing the 2nd Sunday communion."  You can break the bread and sip the "juice" on any Sunday that you attend.

In addition, baptism is a no wait decision.  I was almost in shock because after the pastor's sermon, a man came forward for baptism.  In my own "Baptist thinking" mind,  I assumed that he will be assigned a later date for baptism, but oh no, at the Church of Christ, you are prepped for baptism immediately and before the church service is over, you are submerged into the Baptism pool and welcomed into the church.

This church is no joke.  If you want to be closer to God or Christ, they are a "right now" type of church.

I truly value my Church of Christ experience, and I enjoyed the message from their pastor there.  I look forward to my next visit.  I am not committed to fellowshipping at any church on a regular basis at this time, but the Sugar Creek Christ of Christ is at the top of my list of churches to worship.  If you are in the Charlotte area, then you should check it out too!


2 comments:

  1. Praise God! What a phenomenal article! Sugar Creek Church of Christ is built on sound biblical teaching, worshipping God in spirit and in truth, and the great commission (teaching/baptizing). We are a very loving congregation and I am so very glad that you enjoyed worshipping with us! We have scriptural evidence for all of our worshipping practices, so please let me know if u have any questions. Please come back soon and worship with us! Can't wait to see you again!!!
    God Bless,
    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Not sure how soon, but I plan to attend again!

      Delete