Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 29, 2012

College Dropouts: Successful or Not?


So are you thinking about dropping out of college? Bill Gates of Microsoft and Steve Jobs of Apple were college dropouts. They were pretty successful. They changed the world without a college degree. Okay, if you are a White male, then being a college dropout may not hinder your success.

So your race is non-White or even just plain Black/African American? Wake up and smell the coffee!

Let me clarify. I am the professional Black woman that I am today because there were White people that God put in my life to give me an opportunity, and I delivered.

Let me also clarify that my parents brought my sisters and I up in a conservative, Christian home. For me, there was work, school, home, and church. That was about it. Church, home, school, and work. Education, advanced coursework, honors were driven into our brains. I was sent to college right after graduating from high school with Honors, but I really did not know what college was. It was advance high school???? So I started college, and it was just an interesting concept to me. Luckily, I had above average intelligence so with minimal studying - I passed my classes. Eventually, a chain of events happened to me - non-coursework related - but I decided to just work. So I became a college dropout. Hey! I can relate to taking a break from school. I needed to find some more inspiration. Well, one day, it came. I had gotten tired of being overworked and underpaid.

I had gotten tired of being turned down for corporate interviews because I only had a high school diploma. Then this White lady at a temporary agency told me that "I was only good enough for light secretarial work at that." What? me? My mom and dad always told me how smart that I was. I politely told this White woman "thank you for your time." I left out of that temporary agency very reserved with new inspiration. I knew at that point that I needed some paperwork(i.e. college degrees) behind my name if I was going to get anywhere in this world. So judging from the picture attached to this article, you can see that I finished my college degree and then some.

The interesting thing about college is you can earn your degree or you can cheat and still obtain your degree. I earned my degrees. I bought my first Mercedes Benz at age 25. I am very proud of my accomplishments. I will not name all of those here in this article, because I do not believe in flaunting my achievements until I need to.

You ask when do you need to flaunt your accomplishments? If you find yourself in the court of law or the justice system for some foolishness that you did not do, then you need to have a college degree and some corporate work history. You need to look like you "got some sense" on paper.

You also may need to flaunt your accomplishments in order to get a job promotion or to climb the corporate ladder.

If you think hard enough, there are probably other situations that may come up where you need to look like a "normal, law abiding, educated American."

Okay, so you want to be another Bill Gates and Steve Jobs? You need to be born with those gifts! If you have the capacity to change the world without a college education, then we need you assist in creating jobs for the rest of the Americans looking for work!

On a side note, any visible tattoos, neon colored hair, and excessive body piercing are going to negate all of your college degrees no matter how qualified you may be. So stay conservative and try to blend. College should teach you cultural balance and perseverance. Earning your degree gives you additional self-worth.

You do not have to be intelligent to have children. "Your equipment just has to work." Smile. Earning your college degree from a prestigious university like Harvard University carries a lot of weight with company recruiters.

If you want to help your community and be heard, then get some credentials behind your name and then speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment