Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Not so Good Cover Letter

*Beginning of Body of Cover Letter*

I am writing to you to express my interest to work full time or to teach upper math courses in your department.  I have a rich ten-year working experience in the mathematics field, and I have soaked myself in measureless perception in the mathematics area over the years.

My experience in totality has been extremely enriching and rewarding as I have put in a great deal of efforts in all my endeavors.  Sincerity and hard work were the virtues that were inculcated in my character since the beginning, and as a result I never shied away from challenges.  Learning on my own and sharing my knowledge with others has been most worthwhile, which I believe will work towards my advantage in the future.

To conclude, I have attached a copy of my transcripts.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

*End of Body of Cover Letter*


So what do you think? How did you like the "soaked in measureless perception" comment?  My thoughts: "are you applying for a role in a Shakespeare play?"  If not, you need to "Keep it Simple" especially if you are applying for a mathematics position.

This cover letter is not the worst ever written mainly because there was no misspelled words, but there are some minor grammar challenges and a sense of wonder as to what the heck is the applicant talking about. Hello?.

This is an example of what not to write as a cover letter. Team work references and a progressive work summary can go a long way.


No comments:

Post a Comment