Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Business License or a Permit to Hustle?

Last year when I paid to hear Dr. Joe Dudley, Sr speak, I did not agree with all of his teachings, but there was one statement that I did agree on.

"You do not have a business unless it can run without you."

This statement inspired me to deliver my own message, and here it is:

Most of us have hustles.  As an employee of a larger company, we hustle to keep our job.  As a self-employed person, we hustle to keep the bills paid.  We may have business permits or privilege licenses issued by our local government, but they are really more like a "hustle permit."

So if you have a hot dog stand,  can it run without you?  Can you be gone a week for vacation and still make money while you are away?

Many salon owners are downsizing into studio suites, but does their studio suite make money if they are not there?  Even if they share the studio suite, each stylist typically only collects from their own services rendered.  So in essence,  the salon owners downsize into a hustle in lieu of a business when relocating into these new age styling studio suites.  Let me also be clear, if the salon owner is the only revenue earner working in a larger salon - then the salon is still a hustle with a large overhead if it can not be ran by others.

This same principle applies to nail technicians, estheticians, massage therapists, personal trainers, and any other "one on one" service providers.  Do you make money when you are not working?

If you can make money while enjoying a week off, then you have a business.

My two blogs are probably more of a business than my hair salon. However, I have to keep my blogs fresh with new articles if I want to see maximized revenues.  One week of vacation is not going to stop my blogs from making some money, but I do feel like I make more money on my blogs when I post new articles on a regular basis.

The point of this article is to motivate people to find ways to stay in business, create jobs, maintain demand, fuel the economy, and reinforce team efforts. Everyone has to begin focussing on building businesses; not maintaining hustles in order to assist our country in lowering the percentage of unemployed.

I am working on my business plan, and I am looking for a few good people who want to join me.  Are you working on your business plan?

2 comments:

  1. In a past episode of "Shark Tank" television, the sharks turned down a lady who provided personalized funeral programs and some service coordination surrounding burial planning for recent deaths. The sharks were not sure if the business really would exist without the presenter so she was granted a deal. The idea was great, and she was doing well based on her revenues, but it was questionable if the business could run without her. I saw this episode at least a year before hearing Dr. Dudley speak. His statement reinforced the Sharks' mindset as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction: She was NOT granted a deal. I forgot to write the word "not" in my previous comment.

      Delete