Total Pageviews

Friday, November 29, 2013

Dallas Buyers Club: The Bible Belt Response

The "Dallas Buyers Club" movie is only playing at three theatres in Charlotte, NC.  The "Twelve Years a Slave" movie started out in the same three theatres, but quickly expanded to all the movie theatres throughout Charlotte, NC.

Dallas Buyers Club received outstanding reviews starring Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner, but it is almost a month later, and no extra theatres are adding it to their line-up.

I decided to see it because of the rave reviews, and I appreciate movies based on a true story.

What I didn't expect was the feeling of being ostracized just by going to see the movie.  When I handed my ticket to the "ticket tearer," the guy saw the name of the movie and his facial countenance changed, and he barely wanted to return my half of the ticket stub in my hand.  I swear even the way he said "Theatre 15" sounded scornful. I did not make a big deal because I was running a little behind schedule to watch the movie, and there's a saying that it's a waste of time arguing with an ignorant individual.

There were only a handful of people in the audience for this showing.  Some of these people could have been HIV positive or even knew of someone with AIDS.  Judging by one audience member's emotional response to the movie, I assume that he some firsthand experience with a loved one dealing AIDS.

It was really weird because there seemed to be tension in the air.  No one really wanted to even speak after the movie.  Everyone just quietly went on their way.

The main character in the movie engaged in a LOT of recreational unprotected  heterosexual sex, drugs and alcohol.   So of course, I am thinking that contracting HIV was not a surprise.  I was never emotionally connected to the movie because I never knowingly had any friends nor family that had to survive this particular sickness.

Having worked in the healthcare industry for several years, I had to take universal precautions when dealing with patients and/or residents.  I believe that HIV status is on a "need to know" basis.  So I was not told in advance if someone was HIV positive.  Honestly, there are probably a lot of people who are clueless to carrying any type of virus.

I was told that many people refuse to be "HIV tested" because if the test comes back positive, then their life will forever change and they are not ready for that kind of change so they would rather not know.  This is the reckless and selfish choice, but from what I've heard, it is the modern day stance on the topic of testing.

I personally feel that everyone should have a full range of tests completed with every serious dating relationship just to keep a reality check on one's health.  However, if people are dating new people every month or two, the testing probably would not accurately show any viruses soon enough to narrow down which partner was the source.

My main purpose for writing this article is to document how I, being an overall healthy person, felt going to watch an "alternative" type of movie in the "bible belt." The "Bible belt" is not a friendly place for those with illnesses or disabilities.  So it does not surprise me that people are choosing "not to know" the status of their health because ultimately, they just want to fit in and be respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment