Total Pageviews

Monday, August 26, 2013

Sidewalks make Pedestrian Traffic More safe!


Pictured above is Gilead Road overpass bridge over Interstate 77 in September 2013 in Huntersville, NC.  I have been told that NC State DOT owns this road. Did you notice that the excessive amount of foot traffic has created a path in the grass leading into vehicular traffic?

Update:  As of October 2013, the lines have been added  to this overpass bridge to redefine the shoulder area making it a safer bridge to walk across.  Yes!  A great improvement!


Another Charlotte, NC example:
Guess where this temporary pedestrian path dumps you out?  The streets along the parking lot at Northlake Mall.  September 2013 is when this picture was taken.  The sidewalk from the primary public bus stop is closed off to build what looks like a new parking lot for the H&M store, but in the meantime, transit riders have to dodge traffic to actually get into the mall.

November 2013 update:  parking lot and walkway finished at Northlake Mall.  




For those who recognize more and more people walking on the streets or in the grass where there is no pavement,  would you please assist me in identiftying the streets like the ones pictured above that need more sidewalks in order to keep pedestrians safe and drivers from having an accident?

Larger cities know that citizens use public transit.  Installing sidewalks as a standard along most roads makes life easier for those without personal vehicles.

However,  in Charlotte, our bus routes are limited, and there are still many people who are walking through the grass and in the street trying to get to food and groceries.

Let's not forget that walking is good exercise! Most pedestrians are at least wearing light colored clothing so that the headlights at night will reflect on them alerting drivers that there is someone walking.

I for one am still concerned that someone driving and talking on a cell phone at the same time is going to accidently hit someone during the night or daytime hours.

I am going to start the list of streets that need more sidewalks in the metro Charlotte, NC area.  Please feel free to add additional streets in the comment section or contact me directly to add your input.

Streets to add more sidewalks to:
1) West Harris Boulevard between Mallard Creek Road and Davis Lake shopping center
2) Harris Road/Eastfield between Popular Tent Road and Prosperity Church Road.
3) Statesville Road between Rich Hatchett Road and Gilead Road
4) Gilead Road and the Interstate 77 overpass/bridge
5) Independence Boulevard between Eastway/Wendover overpass and the Walmart store (needs a crossing over Independence Blvd)

Thanks in advance to city officials who will work to make Charlotte's quality of life safer and healthier by looking out for pedestrians.

Update: 6/11/2014
Pictured is the front page of Charlotte Observer newspaper on Sunday, June 8, 2014.  The concern for pedestrians in South End Charlotte warranted the front page cover while I have seen people run across Independence Boulevard, jumping over cement barricades within seconds of fast approaching cars.  I am certain the death toil of pedestrians on Independence Boulevard is far higher than congested SouthEnd.

5 comments:

  1. I informed one of the town employees that women are having to cross the bridge with children in strollers through traffic because there are no sidewalks in that area. She then proceeds to ask me why are they crossing the bridge? I politely answered: To get to the other side. She eventually gives me NCDOT phone number, and the DOT staff member doesn't know who to talk to about sidewalks either. I am waiting for the city and state DOT to figure out who handles sidewalks. Which makes me question why are we trying to help Syria when we can't get people safely across USA streets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I called the NC DOT phone number about three hours later and no one answered and no voicemail picked up after letting the phone ring for over 10 minutes while I was reorganizing some paperwork. I just want to know who can assist me with sidewalks in my county?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally got a response this evening from a town staff member who informed me that the city does have plans to improve the area for pedestrians as monies come available to complete the project. So I am bittersweet. I am happy that plans have been put in place for at least one of the areas on my list, but apparently, the dangers of people losing their life and terrifying drivers who are trying to avoid hitting pedestrians has to be on hold for more funding. I really would like a better timeline or better yet a deadline. Another five years is too long. Another 5 months is reasonable. Let's see what can be done about getting more funding to improve public safety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to the town of Huntersville and NC DOT for listening and making street improvements for the public safety of pedestrians within two months of my voicing my concern. I am so happy about the prompt attention to the matter! It really made a difference in many families' lives. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. On Thanksgiving Day, I witnessed a Caucausian woman possibly in her late 40's running across Independence Blvd from the median barricade to the Walmart side of the street. She barely made it across the four lane highway without getting hit. If she would have fallen, then her life would have been over. The city really needs walking overpasses to crossover Independence Boulevard.

    ReplyDelete