Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 19, 2015

18April2015: My Three 911 calls to the HPD

On this past week, our Association's Board President had "rattled my chains" so much that I felt like I was "Papa Pope" on the "Scandal" Television Series.  I was "the hell and the high water" that was going to bring some justice to our neighborhood.  So I printed up my articles documenting all the drama that has been associated with our Board President over the years, and then I called 911 on Saturday, April 18, 2015.

My call was dispatched to Huntersville Police Department (HPD).  Officer Urps called me from a restricted number. I answered.  As everyone who has been following my blog over the year(s) know that to sum up my anger and anxiety that I was feeling in two sentences over the telephone, was darn near impossible.  I tried to tackle all the different incidents that I have endured regarding community politics, and Officer Urps says "it sounds like a mess."  Well, that was why I was calling the police because I was tired of the "Mess."  The management company, the community, and now, the remainder of the Board members seem to be ALL TIRED of the "Mess."  Officer Urps suggested civil court/small claims court to hit the defendant(s) in the "pocket."  He stated that I did not have a criminal case even though I felt harassed.

He also informed me that the judges do not want to hear anything about "race" being a factor in all of this drama.  Although, I believe inmates are always tracked by race, gender, height, age, etc. just as a side note that I am injecting here.  Back to the conversation at hand, he said that the judges can determine if racism is a  factor in a case.  We mutually ended the telephone call with the next step for me to file a civil suit.

As I began processing the whole civil suit route, I began questioning myself "where are the damages?"  I have sued defendants before in Small Claims Court for breach of contract in order to get a refund, but this HOA drama is not attached to a "bill of sale."  There are always punitive damages and emotional distress, but based on past research, those type of damages are difficult to put a cash value on. I then realized that I wanted a second opinion from another officer or at least a police report number so I called 911 again.

Officer Urps says that he recognized the name and contact information so he took my service call again.  I was hoping for someone else, but since I had him on the phone, I asked for a police report number.  This is where the phone call went "downhill."

  • Officer Urps repeatedly refuses to give me a police report number after I repeated ask for a police report number.  He finally explains that the 911 call logs are how my phone calls are tracked.
  • He then uses, in my opinion, a "scare tactic" with me that since I was a party in the "case" that he could come an arrest me along with them.  I told him "Come on, let's all meet up with the other neighbors and iron this situation out now."  He then backed off and said that he is not going to stand around and listen to women arguing back and forth.
  • I asked him to allow me to speak to another officer.  He refuses.  He references that his word is the final word in this matter.
  • He also mentions that I am wasting his cell phone minutes that he is paying good money for.
  • I asked to speak with his supervisor, and he tells me to drive on over to the Huntersville Police Department which he knew was probably closed for the night anyway. It was approaching 9pm at night on a weekend.
  • And he eventually just hung the phone up on me.



 At this point, I felt a little of the pain and frustration that the town of Ferguson went through during the shooting of Michael Brown.  I was angry and appalled by this officer's insensitive handling of my case.  I was not going to rest until an officer with some better manners treated me with some respect and tried to help me understand what my other options besides civil court were.

I made my third 911 call.  Finally, a supervisor called me back.  He was kind, informative, professional, and he helped me to understand NC Law, and that Officer Urps was right that my case was a civil matter.

This supervisor was able to communicate with me and made me feel like he cared about finding a viable solution to my HOA "Hall of Shame" story.  My call ended with hope.  I did ask for this supervisor's name, but regrettably, I did not write down his name accurately, but I am thankful that the Huntersville Police Department have him on staff.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Another neighborhood Board member Jane Ryan speaks. Search on this blog for more articles on Jane Ryan.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Jane Ryan: I am so happy that you commented. Everyone continues to see how well spoken you are. In addition, your past actions as documented on this blog complements your vocabulary here. Should I name you as a defendant as well?

      Delete
  3. HOA Legislation is obviously past due in North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Call your Legislator. Charles Jeter and Jeff Tarte for Huntersville. See also www.nchoalaws.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "name" of the "cray cray commenter" changed to "unknown." Thank God that I referenced the author of the comments when I did.

    ReplyDelete