Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 1, 2013

My grievance with Carolinas Healthcare System


So I completed seven years of employment with Charlotte Mecklenburg Hospital Authority d/b/a Carolinas Healthcare System with overall successful and exceptional performances.



So how did it come to a Court case filing?  Nepotism? Cronyism? A little of both? or just an incompetent Human Resources staff?  You decide.
My case on July 26, 2013 was dismissed without prejudice in order for both parties to re-group and allow me to re-file within the next year.  CHS wanted the case dismissed with prejudice, and they filed their motion to dismiss at 8:59am (an hour and one minute before the start of our small claims case.)

Questions came up about my failure to file with the North Carolina Department of Labor (NCDL).  It is my understanding that the NCDL is designed to help employees get their job back.  According to CHS, they had completely eliminated all employee hairdresser positions.  So there was no job available to get back.  In addition, by February 2013, both managers that I had filed EEOC complaints against were separated from CHS.  I believe that these terminations were considered "corrective action" on behalf of CHS.  So I did not see a benefit in filing with NCDL.

I tried to work out a settlement out of court with CHS, but they have been unwilling to compromise.


As of August 2013, CHS and I still have not agreed to any type of settlement of my grievances of retaliation and  unfair treatment.

I found my case to be handled recklessly by CHS Human Resources and its attorneys.

Even others in management have questions about the competency of CHS Human Resources staff.  According to my research,  Human Resources purpose is to retain good employees and recruit good employees.  CHS has had a high turnover amongst its employees for years, and based on some opinions as shown above, third party recruiters supply better candidates than internal CHS recruiters.


 Some people may think that I am expecting a handout, but I have proof that I was willing to work for pay.

My 20+ transfer applications were not forwarded to hiring managers for consideration nor was I granted any interviews within the last two years of my employment not even from my direct upline.  My complaints to Human Resources were ignored.  I wonder if they were just hoping that I would just go away empty-handed?

Well, according to my understanding, I was laid off, but we did not agree on the layoff terms.  So I do not know if that means that I was just involuntarily terminated?  However, I received an exit interview survey to complete as if I voluntarily resigned.   I am confused.  Human Resources seem to be confused.  Which makes me question why CHS does not have a corporate compliance department that can provide a "check and balance" over the Human Resources administration without reporting up to the Chief Human Resources officer which has been a conflict of interest.

Articles such as this one seems to be the only way for "my side of my story" to be heard because North Carolina is an "at-will employment" state.  That means the employment laws favor the employer not the employee.




I hope my story helps others to make sound decisions about working in North Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment